Personal injury law generally deals with injuries to a person that require medical attention. Typical causes of injury that give rise to claims for personal injury are: car accidents, work related injuries, animal attacks, plane crashes, slips and falls, trucking accidents, heavy machinery or equipment operation, motorcycle accidents, and negligence of others. The effects of personal injuries are both physical as well psychological and can last the rest of a person’s life. The results often prove financially devastating. In addition to recovering for physical and mental injuries, you may also be entitled to substantial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, permanent disability, and other compensation.
Under North Carolina law, however, personal injury cases must be brought before the Court within strict time limitations. Therefore, if you feel that you may have a personal injury claim as a result of someone else’s negligence, it is important that you act in a timely manner or you may lose your right to recover.
NOTABLE CASE RECOVERIES:
- An interesting, but sad case, is a $450,000 settlement I negotiated on behalf of a teenager. She permanently injured her eye when she walked into a car antennae after dark which had been bent outward several inches past the perpendicular plane of the side of a company car for a grocery chain executive.
- I represented a college student who suffered a spinal cord injury when he was forcefully thrown out of a fraternity party. He was rendered a quadriplegic but we were able to recover over $1.5 million dollars for him and he subsequently graduated from law school and is a very productive citizen.
- In 2012 I represented 3 female high school students that were systematically groomed and molested by a marshall arts instructor. I was able to recover over $1.3 million dollars collectively for the girls.
- In 2017 I represented a man who had a pericardial heart infection that was mistakenly diagnosed and the patient died from a stroke as a result of the misdiagnosis. We recovered $1.8 million dollars for his family resulting from the medical malpractice of an area healthcare provider.
- In 2018 I represented a mentally ill man who was committed to an area hospital where security guards routinely and repetitively used a taser to get him to comply with instructions despite the manufactures clear warning that tasers are not to be used as compliance tools against the mentally ill. We recovered $450,000 for his injuries and importantly, the hospital changed its policies for dealing with mentally ill patients.
- In 2018 I represented an autistic middle school student who was abducted into a bathroom at a middle school and sexually assaulted by another student who had been left unsupervised by the school faculty. I was able to recover $500,000 for this boy that was put into a trust to provide future education and care for the child.
- I obtained an $800,000 settlement for a young man who had been operated on by a maxillofacial surgeon. We contended that he failed to properly install prosthetic mandibular joints.
- In 2020, I obtained 1.13 million dollars for a client through stacking underinsured (UIM) policies.